tweedbean's R53 a second bite at the cherry
Page 1 of 48 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: tweedbean's R53 a second bite at the cherry

Post Thanks / Like

tweedbean's R53 a second bite at the cherry

r53 spec by James Baker, on Flickr

So I have a 2006 facelift R53 Cooper S - Climate control,panoramic sunroof, electric folding mirrors, heated windscreen, Harman Kardon sound system, chilli pack so xenons etc, full leather and parking sensors.

The story:

So after a lot of talking over the last few months, I decided to pull the trigger a buy an R53 to run as a second car alongside the F56 which isn't going anywhere. I like the idea of a second car so when I'm working on one I can drive the other and I wanted something that can be more track/performance focused than my daily driver, which is where the R53 came in. I did consider an R56 but with the engine troubles I had with the Clubby, I am scarred for life and wont be bitten twice.

The R53 was the perfect choice and I was waiting until early summer to buy one; that is until Wednesday night when I saw someone about to break a perfectly decent R53 on the Mini owners group on facebook unless he found a buyer by the weekend for what I could only see as a decent car at a bargain price. Speaking to the seller it had a couple of niggles but nothing I couldn't sort and looking at the price I questioned what else was wrong with it as he seemed to say everything was perfect apart from a throttle position sensor fault, a snapped dip stick and a spot of rust on the boot lid.

So the next next day off I went to Gloucester with cash in hand, to find the car exactly as described and for the life of me I still cant work out why it was priced so cheap. Test drive went well and I parted with my cash there and then.

Spec wise it seems too good to strip it down as a track car, its a facelift car with has climate control, panoramic sunroof, electric folding mirrors, heated windscreen, harmon karden sound system, chilli pack so xenons etc, full leather and parking sensors.

The panoramic sunroof isn't ideal but I can get rid of it worst case but I cant see it causing too many problems as I am not looking to build a record breaker here, just something fun to drive on the road and track.

Time for some photos, the engine bay hadn't looked like it had been touched in years which for me is a good sign, it was full of dust and cobwebs. A few bits of surface rust and a shot upper engine mount to sort, but no big issues under there:

Filthy by James Baker, on Flickr

IMG_8182 by James Baker, on Flickr

Chrome'tastic front end:

Clean by James Baker, on Flickr

Clean by James Baker, on Flickr

Plans
    I learnt a lot from my first experience with an R53 so I will be using that as my baseline but going past the point I reached then as I had to consider it being a daily driver back then:

Last public outing by James Baker, on Flickr

Current plans include getting rid of all that chrome, theres just too much with the scoops, boot trim, mirror caps, etc some chrome works well with certain cars but its not in the plan for this car. I am going for a dark and moody look to this car.

Front and rear seats will make way for fixed buckets and GP delete kit. A half cage inside.

Wheels and coilovers are a must but not sure what yet.

Brakes I am thinking an R56 S setup with decent pads and discs as this seems to have proved a decent setup for track.

Engine wise 17% pulley, GP intercooler, larger injectors, a cam of some description and an Orranje airbox. After that I will take a look at a performance head and maybe a front mount, if I go down this route then a smaller pulley to make up for the reduction in boost.

Plenty of bracing with OMP lower, GTT upper and maybe some of the other mid chassis one
    Last edited by tweedbean; 08/12/17 at 12:58.

2. # ADS
    MiniTorque Ads

breaking stock internals Madnick's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice one, cant wait to see the progress and winning on 2 project threads

#HypocriticalCoiloverCunt Weltz's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oooh, you've got an r53 project... mine is about to begin soon... we can compare notes

5. Remove Advertisements
    MiniTorque.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / Like
    Loved your old car looking forward to seeing this one unfold..

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice!

Post Thanks / Like
    WOOP

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice buy, I'm in that neck of the woods, you could of popped in for a cuppa and some dinner/tea

Post Thanks / Like
    This pleases me greatly

Well done James! Can't wait to see what you do with this

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    First mod was purchased and collected yesterday from Davy via 1320. A set of aero skirts wrapped in carbon effect vinyl, but underneath they are hyper blue:

Before:
    image.jpg

During:
    image.jpg

After:
    image.jpg

I need to work out if I can securely connect these without the undertray section they normally come with as this is missing, if not I will pick some up from the dealers. Also need to order the clips and I will then fit these myself.

Page 1 of 48 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread Information