MiniTorque.com banner

MINI Cooper S John Cooper Works GP 0124 GP1 R53

Tags
mini mini gp
4K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  andrew_mini 
#1 · (Edited)
Just replaced its alloys yesterday. Its original wheels needed refurbishment so I just decided to replace its wheels to FOX MS 006. However I have no intention to sell its original GP wheels. Any opinions guys?

See less See more
#4 ·
:thumbup1: I like ! It's a more aggressive wheel without going over the top for rest of the car. Are these 17's ? Did it drop the car some ?

When having the GP wheels refurbished, consider having the entire wheel clear coated including the darker part of the spokes. Few years ago MINI was waiting on a replenishment of their GP Wheel inventory. When they were finally shipped to the states, I opened one box and the entire wheel was clear coated ! LOOKED awesome !!! But when I advised MINI of this "error" they immediately recalled all the wheels and stated anyone who had purchased from that batch to return for replacement. Needless to say there were not takers and the GP owners kept them as they were.

#5 ·
No they're 16''s. :wink:

No it didn't drop but the wheel gap increased. Thus it needs lowering. Planning to buy a set of coilovers in the coming months. However it looks far better.

Cheers for the information.

Attached is a picture of how it looked before.

P.s I sold the green Austin Mini, now having the R53 GP, and R56 S and two other Austin Minis one of them getting restored!

#12 ·
Hmm, odd more wheel gap developed going to 16's especially since the JCW springs you have now probably already dropped the car .5 to .75 of an inch. Maybe the lack of side wall makes it look that way.

Would not recommend just going with coils especially with stock struts of any type which have a "normal" operating/damping range. They will provide a very harsh ride and the OEM struts will not last long. If laws permit there, a nice set of adjustable coil overs with camber plates and pair of lower adjustable rear control arms from H-Sport would be a nice combo.

CROSS Competition Coilovers - Way Motor Works ( not sure if he ships over seas any more, but maybe find vendor who will. )

and set of these to help dial out some of the rear camber when lowering.

H-Sport Rear Camber Links - Way Motor Works

#15 ·
Just restored its callipers. Looking like new! Back to its former glory. :)

BEFORE

AFTER

IN PROGRESS

Sent from my SM-A700F using Tapatalk
:thumbup1::thumbup1: Those look so much better now especially when the hats are done in black too....nice job.
They make a ceramic based paint in a spray can now, is that what you used ? Did my rears like that 7 years ago and only
have to do a touch up every other year or so...

Also, here is a very good reference for anyone looking do modify suspension and adjustable coil overs....
MiniTorque.com - Gen 1 Suspension

Goes over the various types of C/O, including damping controls for rebound as well....

(ps) interesting news there....

#16 ·
Hi gray raven, the spray I've used is a heat resistant which is widely used to spray engine rocker covers that support high temperatures. Yes they do need touch ups over the years as they do fade due to high temperatures. With regards to the link it is highly appreciated. I'd give it a look! Cheers :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.