MiniTorque.com banner

British Racing Green R50 Daily Build

31K views 186 replies 30 participants last post by  R50KID 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi Guys!
So after reading hundreds of build threads on here I thought that it was time to create my own! There aren't many R50's on here, which is a shame, but the ones that are done on here (along with the R53's) are bloody lush. Enough waffling on let's talk about the car!

Below is my Mini 'One' 2002 R50, as you all know the boring 90bhp, shit interior, 2 spoke wheel ect.
I deal with a lot of racing in our classic 1978 Austin Mini 1380cc Race Car with my race team, but here was a night before in the pits at Brands Hatch.

Before:

Mods Completed (Updated)

Engine:
Alta induction
NGK Spark plugs
New HT Leads
Royal Purple 5w30 HPS Oil

Exhaust:
- Sportex centre section (cat back) with a Piper Cams Cooper S back box custom made centre exit.

Powerflexed bushes:
Front Wishbones
Lower Engine Mount
Upper Engine Mount
Gearbox Mount

Suspension:
AP Coilovers
Silverproject top mounts
OMP UPPER Strut Brace

Brakes:
- Brembo drilled grooved discs with Mintex pads (fronts)
- Brembo drilled grooved discs with mintex pads (rear)
- Standard Lines

Exterior-
- Cooper S Rear bumper Trim
- Alta Stubby Ariel
- Cooper S Spoiler
- Blacked-Out Mirror Caps

Interior:
- Cooper S Half Leather Interior
- 3 Spoke Steering wheel
- Scan Gauge 2
- Sub Boot - Floor Build

Wheels:
- MG hairpins
- 12mm Sparco Spacers (front)

Tyres:
Falken 205/45/16

After mods

See less See more
#81 ·
Thats the point we are all trying to make, you can't. Fit the correct bulbs for the type of headlight.

Theres a reason Xenon discharge headlights are required by law to be through a projector lens, auto level and have washers.

#83 ·
To be honest guys I didn't realise the extent to what was needed to use HID's regarding reflectors ect. I will not use them from reading up and speaking with my buddy who has run them too. Shame because I thought that they would be a little brighter than the orange glow of the bulbs at the moment. Maybe I'll look into a set of Cooper s facelift headlights or something [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#85 ·
Its the best way, all they would do in the reflectors is create a huge white dazzle and not really work that well. The best option is some decent bulbs like Philips Silver Stars, even the high pref ones from Halfods make a nice difference over stock they did in Subaru which has reflectors. The FL xenons need a bit of work to fit as the wiring loom would need some work to take the load as theres been a few who tired it and have had flickering issues, I think Scraggles solved it so it might be worth dropping him a PM.

Reactions: R50KID
#84 ·
I hope you kept the receipt haha.
they used to be all the rage years ago then I think they changed the regulations.
saw them on an old episode of wheeler dealers and they super imposed writing on saying "since this was filmed the law has changed"

My brother runs them on all his shite cars! drives round in the middle of the day with his lights on like a pleb :blushing:

#87 ·
Cheers for the advice lads! I'll just get some extra bright road legal ones from halfords and focus on some more relevant mods than just the colour of the lights!

New wheels and tyres are on the car, it handles and feels so much better now especially running the 55 profile feels amazing through the corners and very planted. Next on the list is going to be a 4-2-1 decat mani then should be going in for a remap and play about down the workshop!

I'll get some decent pictures of the wheels on the weekend when the car is washed [emoji1303]

#89 ·
Not really an update but gave the car a super clean and went out for a couple of pictures. Tyres feel great and so much more nimble on the hairpins. Not too sure what's on the shopping list at the moment but possibly a cooper s front bumper for now [emoji1303]

#94 ·
Thought I would have a look at the throttle body the other day, whipped it off and it was absolutely filled to the brim with black deposits and also alot of oxidisation. A little bit of brake cleaner and wet and dry grades gave it a nice smooth finish on the outside and then a good clean out of inside gave a nice snappy closure on the butterfly valve [emoji1303][emoji1306]

#95 ·
So after realising that the car had been loosing a little bit of water and a couple days seeing some leakage after coming out to it in the morning i thought I better do some checking.

Got the car up and noticed that the rad was cracked and leaking in one place and also through the fins in a further two places!

Ordered the parts and they came the next day ready for my day off to refit and rectify the problem.

Old one off

New rad on

All bled up and keeping temps low with the new coolant

#97 ·
Not a lot happening other than going out for a few pictures. Need to sort out the low oil pressure...thinking of a blocked strainer is the problem. I'll be purchasing some sacraficial oil to be used so when the royal purple goes in it will be perfect

#98 ·
Lately the oil light had been flickering on and off...never a good thing! I checked the pressures which were extremely low and narrowed it down to a blocked strainer on the pickup from the oil in the sump.

So got down the garage and got straight to work sorting it out. 30 minutes prior and a sort round trip involved letting the engine flush do its thing in breaking up the carbon deposit build up.

After having to take off the front end, condenser, and stabilising bolt for the lower engine mount it was time for the sump to be taken off.

Whipped the strainer off and inspected the mesh filter. Blocked as thought, cleaned out and re fitted with new O ring.

A nice clean sump...removed any tiny parts gathered at the bottom as the oil drained. And bam, brand new!

In went the Royal Purple high performance street oil (HPS 5w-30)

Runs so smooth now with the new oil and a complete refresh, car feels brand new and runs so perfect. I'm so happy now especially with the new oil there isn't even a murmur from the timing chain. Happy days....brakes next!!

#101 ·
So lately I've noticed the brake lights constantly on...one brake light switch later, a hundred scans of the diagnostic machine and still nothing. Old school wiring diagrams to the rescue! I've traced the wires and there are no real explanations to the fault other than leading to the Body Control Module [emoji52] which isn't good news, I have a friend who rebuilds them and has given me a price, only downside is when it's rebuilt I'll have to get the module coded back into the vehicle with dealer level programming equipment.

I'm hoping that for a temp fix I can bypass the module without causing any errors to occur...

#102 ·
Luckily the brake light issue after tracing through the wiring there was a diode...completely full with water....mouldy and in two pieces..

My wishbone bushes are shot so I ordered a powerflex set and I added to the basket an upper engine mount insert too, I decided to run without the huge plate spacers like many do.

#105 ·
Today I got down to the dreaded wishbones, bought the powerflex wishbone bushes along with the upper engine mount.

After much debate after taking the arms off I decided to drop the sub frame and take the wishbone bush housing off. Too much faffing about cutting them and making a tool to press them in.

Subframe dropped

All I can say is that the bushes are well and truly gone, beyond belief the arms literally fell out of the housing!

I've taken the arms and housing down to the garage ready to use the press to put them in [emoji1305] perfect

#107 ·
thats the wrong mount the upper mount comes with two big washers that cover the bush thats the lower engine mount rear bush ;)
No I've got the lower rear engine mount too. It comes with two big washers, correct. But I'm not running them like I've read a few people due to a lot of vibration hence why I'm not running the washers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.