Back in a R53 Cooper S and couldn't be happier! - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Back in a R53 Cooper S and couldn't be happier!

MT Virgin
    Post Thanks / Like
    I hear you on liking the Mini. I owned a MBZ dealership many years ago and had the opportunity to own some very nice and desirable cars. Problem was I never could "fall in love" with any of them like I did in my much earlier years owning Porsche 356's. My biggest disappointment was buying a 66 911. Compared to the 356 it was faster but just wasn't, "part of you" like the 356. Fast forward many decades and after I had sold my dealership I had the opportunity to sit in one of the first Minis that showed up in our town. I loved the look of the car and I loved the interior as well. I purchased a 05 R50 and then bought my present car almost 10 years ago. Purchased a couple of R53, one all black and traded it for a blue 06 Cabrio with just about every race goodie. Sold the 06 and kept the 02 and we are finishing building it out. 10 years ago when I bought the 02 I had a TPR2 Head . water-meth, NS1 Cam, 17% pulley, ARP studs, 450 injectors, Mynes V2 Header, Bytetronik FA. CAE shifter and Miltek exhaust installed. Today we are finishing the build out with Ported Intake, 650 injectors, TVS900 Supercharger, ATI 2% Pulley, LSD and Valeo Clutch. I may add NOZ and CO2 injection after I see how I like the TVS. I absolutely love this car and at 118,000 miles I hope to be able to keep it the rest of my days. Like I said, I've owned some very desirable and fast cars over my 75 years but only the old 356 comes close in comparison to my R53. The car becomes "part of you" and you create a sense of teamwork when driving it to get all of its performance. Faster than the 356 and I think better looking. I will keep and cherish this little car the rest of my days.
    Last edited by Putttn; 18/07/19 at 16:35.

2. # ADS
    MiniTorque Ads

Settling in at MT
    Post Thanks / Like
    A few updates to the MINI. The paintwork needed some attention - being red, it had faded in places and had lacqueer peel in areas. After a bit of TLC, it's starting to look a lot better - still needs a flat and polish, but here's the "off the gun" finish:

It should all be back together and finished by this evening. Then the car is off to Minitopia who are doing a supercharger service and new water pump for me!

Tom

Settling in at MT
    Post Thanks / Like
    Picked the car up last night, major improvement with the paintwork. Super happy! What are peoples thoughts on the colour coded grill?

5. Remove Advertisements
    MiniTorque.com
    Advertisements

MT Virgin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Grill looks nice. Better than all black or all red.

I have some manky metal work under on of my rear lights that needs attention before winter. I seem to have got all the other jobs done first!

Potential Post Whore
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice fella! Not sure on the grill. But I think I like it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Grilles look ok, but the lower one needs refitting properly....

Post Thanks / Like
    looks clean and tidy after the respray, mind you the earlier 'before' pictures looked good
    Project - 2004 DS R53

Settling in at MT
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the comments guys! I am super happy with the car at the moment. The lower grill isn't fitted correctly - only because I didnt trim it to fit - purposely, as an aero front bumper is on the cards soon...

A couple of updates - a JCW carbon handbrake to compliment the JCW carbon gear knob:

And finally making some progress on stripping the strut brace down ready for repaint. I was originally planning on either keeping it red, or going black, but I think I'm going to go silver for an OEM+ look...

MT Virgin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks lovely. Im on the hunt for one at the moment. BRG is my favourite colour then probably red or grey. Its been difficult finding something decent as 90% are approaching 'shed' territory. Ive seen a couple fo red cars but as you said, they've nearly all got lacquer peel. Not having anywhere to respray myself is a downer so ive passed on a few cars.
    My only concern about your car is your choice of where to put the fire extinguisher. it looks like its in the boot(?) This is not a good idea because in the event of an actual fire you will almost certainly not be able to get to it. The fire extinguisher should be within arms length of the driver, ideally bolted in the passenger footwell. The extinguisher must be fastened to the structure of the car ie: the shell, not a flimsy parcel shelf that will become detached in an accident. the extinguisher will become a missile.
    Ive owned many Subaru Imprezas and been in a competition car that caught fire at Curborough. You may not have time to get out of the car, the boot may not open, the extinguisher may not even be where you left it.
    The other issue is if the car is hit from behind and it damages the extinguisher. It could go off, or worse, explode.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome back, much prefer a cc'd aero grill on the R53

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information