6th Engine (for now) & better than ever! MAFFA's back...again! Again!
Page 1 of 74 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: 6th Engine (for now) & better than ever! MAFFA's back...again! Again!

Post Thanks / Like

6th Engine (for now) & better than ever! MAFFA's back...again! Again!

I did start a project thread quite a long time ago on here but with engines going bang left right & centre & missing no less than the last 3 summers of Mini fun/trackdays I to be honest gave up on the forums for quite a while. Now i've got it back & we're now on engine number 5 (don't doubt my dedication!! ) I figured I should start a new & improved project thread to show how I got from this:

Attachment 56082

to this:

There's a lot to update you all on between August 2008 & now so bare with me as I do it bit by bit. I'm in work now so i'll try & do a bit day by day starting this evening.

I hope now i've got it back that i'll get to meet some of the old faces again at many meets/track days etc... along with some of the new ones
    Last edited by MAFFA; 16/01/16 at 19:34.

2. # ADS
    MiniTorque Ads

breaking stock internals Madnick's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    5th engine??? jesus man how the hell did you manage that??
    Kudos for the dedication though

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Madnick View Post
    5th engine??? jesus man how the hell did you manage that??
    Kudos for the dedication though
    It's a very long story consisting of court cases etc... & a lot of ball ache...but it's all part of the journey

5. Remove Advertisements
    MiniTorque.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / Like
    It's about time! Always wondered about your car what with your sig being so massive and the alloys being so bright!

Post Thanks / Like
    I just love the quote of i'm on my 5th engine...court cases and heart breaks but i'm back lol, love the absolute dedication

Post Thanks / Like
    I really need to shrink that sig a LOT. I'll be on the laptop later to start the updates on my journey of highs & hells lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

2008 - Year 1

August 2008
    Well lets start from the very beginning. Back on 2nd August 2008 I chopped in my E39 M5 for a 2002 Mini Cooper S in Dark Silver:

Attachment 56114

Looking back now I can't believe the wheels it came with (18" Jordan R's) lasted the 4 weeks they did. I saw sense & got rid of those quick sharpish in favour of a set of replica 17" R90's. This along with an M7 induction kit to increase airflow & of course that supercharger whine we all love!

Attachment 56106

October 2008
    Now I'm not sure when KAVS started to sell his reduced supercharger pulleys but back in October 2008 I bought a 15% from him for 40 delivered & got it fitted by Minispeed along with a set of NGK BKR7EIX Iridium plugs. This gave the Mini a little extra poke.

November 2008
    Looking back now I can tell that I was definitely doing things on a budget! A Burnout (whoever they are!?!?!) cat back system arrived from the states for a whopping $175!! You know it's going to be quality at that price!

December 2008
    Some of that wheelgap needed to be addressed quick sharpish & not having the budget for coilovers back then I put on a set of KW springs that i'd blagged from the bay for 45 brand new!

Attachment 56122

Post Thanks / Like

2009 - Year 2

January 2009
    Having literally melted the standard chocolate brakes at Bedford I fitted a set of Wilwood 12.2's that were supplied by Todd at TCE:

Attachment 56130

February 2009
    Fitted a 20mm Whiteline adjustable rear anti-roll bar from Balance Motorsport

April 2009
    Fitted front upper & lower OMP strut braces along with an MSD coil pack & leads

May 2009
    The intercooler had to go & was replaced with a GTT one:

Attachment 56138

Turns out the Burnout exhaust was total shite! Who'd have guessed eh??? So I replaced it with a Quicksilver Supersport which was much better:

Attachment 56154

June/July 2009

During the summer I took my 1st 2 of many trips to 1320 Mini. Firstly a Newman cam was fitted & a remap was had. They also fitted my Helix 380 injectors. The results were:

223 BHP
    181 lb/ft

On the day it was 27 degrees & my clutch was slipping like crazy so I took my car to a local garage and had the following fitted that i'd bought:

1) JB Racing aluminium flywheel (4.5kg)
    2) Clutchmasters FX 400 clutch kit (6 paddle)
    3) Superflex control arm bushes

October 2009
    Engine No.1 blows up!!!

Just look at that hole in the side of piston 4!

Attachment 56162

Now this is the point where my rollercoaster begins. The car is returned to the garage that fitted my clutch & I supply them with a low mileage engine to replace the blown one. Once done I take the car to 1320 Mini for a remap & 250 miles...yes 250 miles later engine no.2 blows up!!!

The diagnosis on this one was that the garage had fitted my engine without attaching the FPR hose!! This time it was Cylinder 3.

November/December 2009

After sending the car back to the garage that fitted the engine for them to rebuild it, free of charge, I got it back in November 2009. But guess what? 750 miles later a piston blows a hole the size of my fist through the block! That's engine no.3 blown up!!!

This time the garage refuses to touch my car. They park it outside & leave it there in the snow because they say it was either my driving or the fact it was to highly tuned that caused the engine to blow this time. I end up transporting it home where it sits in the snow until February 2010!

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll update more tomorrow evening as I'm knackered & it's hard work tracing all of this back through the years

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by -adam- View Post
    It's about time! Always wondered about your car what with your sig being so massive and the alloys being so bright!
    The sig has shrunk...at last

Page 1 of 74 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread Information