PLEASE HELP me save my R53!!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PLEASE HELP me save my R53!!!

MT Virgin
    Post Thanks / Like

PLEASE HELP me save my R53!!!

Evening everybody, I am new to the forum and really hope that somebody can help me save my R53!!

I have a 2003 MCS, and last year the crankshaft failed, sending the piston into the bottom of the cylinder head and the con rod through the sidewall of the block. It came as a real shock as the car had a full service history and until this failure, the car and engine ran really well. I purchased a 2006 MCS engine with 54K and spent the next 6 months rebuilding and fitting it to my car. I was meticulous in ensuring that all the gaskets and serviceable items were replaced on the engine, and that the wiring loom was not damaged and refitted correctly. However after fitting the engine I can now not get the starter motor to turn over!!!! I have searched the web and tried a number of things to get the car running but it just wont work. The engine spins freely by hand, can somebody please help??

When i turn on the ignition everything on the car works as it should, lights, windows, locks sunroof etc and the fuel pump primes itself, but when i turn the key to position 2 the starter motor solenoid clicks once and the interior lights dim but the motor will not spin. Below is a list of things i have tried and the changes seen, if any:

- Removed the plug / connector from the alternator and the starter motor spins, but the solenoid does not click
    - Plugged in a home mechanics OBD reader and the car shows no errors
    - Tried the spare key
    - Charged the original battery
    - Tried a new battery that was fully charged
    - Unplugged the EWS and the solenoid stopped clicking, no movement from the motor
    - Checked and cleaned all the earth points
    - Bled the clutch system in case the car was fitted with a clutch safety switch
    - Locked the car with the key and left over night, the light on the stalk flashed when the car was locked and stopped flashing when the car was unlocked
    - I replaced the started motor with a used replacement that was known to work, i consequently checked the original starter motor on the bench and it worked!
    - I've rechecked the wiring connectors and removed the ECU to ensure that it was correctly connected.
    - I've checked and cleaned the connectors in the battery compartment with WD40

The car is currently sat on stands in my garage and i really want to fix it, have i missed something simple or is there something more serious broken

Thanks all
    James

2. # ADS
    MiniTorque Ads

Post Thanks / Like
    Have you tried applying power directly to the starter whilst it's in the car?

I reckon you've missed an earth or a power somewhere. Either between the battery and the power point under the bonnet, or between the power point and the starter/alternator.

MT Regular
    Post Thanks / Like
    By virtue of the fact that the lights dim when you turn the key & the solenoid clicks it can only be the starter or the battery or the wiring between the 2.

As above remove the wiring & try to power it directly from a separate battery to rule out the starter as a first point.

Then move the battery to the other end of the wiring to prove the wiring.

My guess would be that there is a connection somewhere not tight assuming everything you tried above was good.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MiniTorque.com
    Advertisements

MT Virgin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi both, thankyou for getting back to me, I really appreciate your support.

If i connect the starter motor to an external battery or connect the starter motor to the black battery jump box in the engine bay, the car starts and runs perfectly.

I have looked at all the wiring under the engine, and even dismantled under the dash to check for loose connections but had no joy!!!

I have also searched for a relay for the starter motor but cant find one, have i missed it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Have you connected the trigger wire for the starter to the correct terminal on the starter? There are two poles on there where it will fit

Post Thanks / Like
    you used all your original ancillaries and wiring?

have you used the top terminal on the starter re the above post?

go through 'every' fuse if necessary.

starter relay will be integral to the immobiliser control module probably.
    Exclusive Workshops'Driving The Experience' Official supplier of M Factory Competition Products, YCW Suspension, YCW Engineering, Swift Performance Springs. Infinitude Autosports, Synchrotech Transmissions Inc. Official Installer and Service Centre for Swift, YCW, M Factory, Exclusive Workshops Performance Final Drives, Gear Sets and Race Transmissions.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ground wires? Immobilizer?

Post Thanks / Like
    One item to check, is the positive terminal cut off in good order? I know that if there's an issue with them that SRS warning can illuminate, but possibly cause other issues? Just a thought.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Engine to body earth strap ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Just to confirm.

When you change the engine, did you also swap the ecu? If so I believe the ecu, ews and key chip are coded to each other and as such all need to be from the same unit or recoded to each other for them to work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information