New Mini owner - Cylinder 4 misfire and System too rich Bank 1 - HELP!
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New Mini owner - Cylinder 4 misfire and System too rich Bank 1 - HELP!

MT Virgin
    Post Thanks / Like

New Mini owner - Cylinder 4 misfire and System too rich Bank 1 - HELP!

Hi all,

I recently bought a 2006 Cooper S JCW from a friend. It's had issues in the past but most things rectified by him.

Sods law, shortly after getting it home I got a couple of error lights - DSC and emissions. Since then I have had nothing but issues. I think it's easier if I give a summary!

Issues I've noted:
    1) DSC and emissions warning lights come on when warm and idling (rarely when driving)
    2) P0304 and P0172 errors thrown by the OBD
    3) Occasionally will switch to running 3 cylinders at idle until restarted
    4) Quite loud throttle-dependent hissing from left side of intercooler (not the rubber boots though - they seem fine)
    5) Lots of oil in the spark plug 3 & 4 tunnels and around the bottom of the valve cover.

Things I've tried:
    1) Clearing codes and trying again
    2) Swapping various leads around
    3) Replacing all the spark plug gaskets and the valve cover gasket (no more oil leak - hooray!)
    4) Injector cleaner
    5) Checking valve springs - all seem fine

Things I think it might be:
    1) Spark plugs but that's too easy and the current ones look fine
    2) Cylinder 4 exhaust valve dead
    3) Vacuum leak somewhere - the hissing from the intercooler?
    4) Dead coil pack / spark plug?
    5) ?? cylinder 4 injector

Little bit at the end of my tether for today and would really appreciate some help diagnosing the problem. I don't feel like it's an electrical issue, particularly as it seems to run fine when not idling. I've tried inspecting all the tubes around the intercooler but there's nothing obviously split - can an intercooler itself crack and give this issue?

Really would appreciate any help you can give!

Thanks
    Tim

2. # ADS
    MiniTorque Ads

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Tim, welcome to MT. Typical culprits for 'stuff' are corrosion on the coilpack terminals (typically number 3) and the vacuum line for the fiel pressure regulator perishes and falls off. But if you can hear hissing I'd definitely give the boots a proper check

Post Thanks / Like
    intercooler can crack, pipe as suggested maybe, fuel pressure regulator pipe connects that side, air leak can cause dsc light with eml but less likely the same cylinder misfire, these lights with misfire can indeed be plugs, certainly don't trust BKR7EIX even if recent, had this on my own car with recent plugs and low miles, it's not the exhaust valve or it'd be permanent ;O)
    Exclusive Workshops'Driving The Experience' Official supplier of M Factory Competition Products, YCW Suspension, YCW Engineering, Swift Performance Springs. Infinitude Autosports, Synchrotech Transmissions Inc. Official Installer and Service Centre for Swift, YCW, M Factory, Exclusive Workshops Performance Final Drives, Gear Sets and Race Transmissions.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MiniTorque.com
    Advertisements

MT Virgin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, responses already. Thanks so much to both of you.

I'm happy to give swapping the spark plugs a try but I really don't feel like it's that giving the problem. I'm not sure why. But I will try tomorrow.

Re: the hissing sound, this genuinely seems to be coming from the intercooler itself, just to the left of the centre of it. There seems to be 2 pipes beneath that point- the fuel pipe which is fine and a yellow-ish air pipe which looks fine on inspection. No cracks or splits. Is it common for the intercooler to crack?

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd swap the injectors around also while you've got the intercooler off.

The edges of the horns and the 'cooler are pretty sharp, so it's possible you've cut one of the boots of its been on and off a few times.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you take off the inter cooler then check the plugs are nice and tight, even when torqued down properly plug number 2 always seems to get loose.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by timmyk86 View Post
    Wow, responses already. Thanks so much to both of you.

I'm happy to give swapping the spark plugs a try but I really don't feel like it's that giving the problem. I'm not sure why. But I will try tomorrow.

Re: the hissing sound, this genuinely seems to be coming from the intercooler itself, just to the left of the centre of it. There seems to be 2 pipes beneath that point- the fuel pipe which is fine and a yellow-ish air pipe which looks fine on inspection. No cracks or splits. Is it common for the intercooler to crack?
    not common but possible, pinched boot below is reasonably frequent, the yellowish pipe may be the grey pipe from the PCV valve which goes to the charger intake tube.

noises around the pulley area or the charger exhaust horn can be a number of things, including a dry supercharger PTO which transmits a hissing/scraping type sound up the left horn which can be quite audible,
    Last edited by CarsOrBikes; 07/07/19 at 11:14.
    Exclusive Workshops'Driving The Experience' Official supplier of M Factory Competition Products, YCW Suspension, YCW Engineering, Swift Performance Springs. Infinitude Autosports, Synchrotech Transmissions Inc. Official Installer and Service Centre for Swift, YCW, M Factory, Exclusive Workshops Performance Final Drives, Gear Sets and Race Transmissions.

MT Virgin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks everyone again for all the input - nice welcome to the forum!

Plan of action today will be to
    1) Swap around some spark plugs and see if the misfire moves
    2) Swap around an injector and see if the misfire moves
    3) Recheck (again) the intercooler boots

After that I'm running a bit short of ideas.

Just to say again - that hissing noise seems to be coming directly from the intercooler. Left side, about 1/3 of the width inwards from the boot, about halfway between the top and bottom. I can get my ear right to it. The pipe below looks good but I can wrap it in self sealing tape and see if that helps.
    Honestly I think the easiest thing would be to swap it out with someone else's intercooler and see if it stops doing it! Anyone in Cambridge fancy giving me a hand?!

Thanks all again - really appreciate it./
    Tim

Post Thanks / Like
    one test is to spray a little of something like easy start or brake cleaner only when the engine isn't too hot, and see if the engine reacts suddenly which is one way to find an air leak, don't spray anywhere near the exhaust just a little by the I/C area at first, such stuff is volatile!

MT Virgin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Okay so spent some time on it today. Findings:

1) The intercooler boots are definitely not torn or leaking.

2) Swapping the spark plugs around seemed to make it last longer before throwing the codes - I managed 50-odd minutes code free this time before 'Cylinder 4 misfire' and 'System too rich Bank 1' reappeared - again after idling for a while when warm, which is the pattern that has developed. Also the too rich warning fault comes first, prior to the misfiring.

3) I didn't get time to take the fuel rail off and swap the injectors around. Plus I'm not really sure how to do it.

I did however make a video of the noise, which might help you guys help me diagnose it. Again this sound seems to be coming directly from the intercooler:

Any further thoughts? Could a leaking intercooler give these problems or is a red herring? Desperate to get to the bottom of these problems, they're driving me nuts!

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information