The Tyre Recommendation Thread - Page 62
Page 62 of 63 FirstFirst ... 1252585960616263 LastLast

Thread: The Tyre Recommendation Thread

MiniTorqueGoesFinland
    Post Thanks / Like
    I loved my AD08s when they were new and all the rage, and JKo seems to like his AD08Rs (even though they seem to wear quicker), but since the AD08R/RS is about the only decent tyre available in 16 these days, it might well be the go-to tyre. And it seems fairly cost effective!

2. # ADS
    MiniTorque Ads

Post Thanks / Like
    some of it is down to how it's driven, setup, and overall spec isn't it though as well as the road state or track surface, tyre opinion is hugely varied? I went to Federal RSR595's on recommendation around five years ago now for the road or track and only just moved off them onto bigger again AD08R's, which at the moment on the road I'm not sure if I wish I hadn't. It's early days still but I think that's where I stand, even with them being a bit bigger. I only did it for some tyres I was happier with on track or at least that would allow me to commit to a day with the guys earlier on, rather than always waiting to see if I can get on track at the last minute etc. Plus because they were under 110 a corner, still up 140 on 595's.

I did run these AD08R's almost right away during storm Helena at Anglesey in high winds and rain and they felt 'alright' actually which is what I was hoping for, nice on the road really, marginally more reassuring than the 595 in the wet but felt with their wet rating I 'should' be able to have a bit more faith in them on track especially. The next day at the same track with improved conditions but into slight rain progressing to wet I was on AR1's, worn AR1's at that. The AR1 on track is a better tyre slightly than the 595, I've swapped these around and the conclusion is definite. The 595 and AR1 are both 215/45r17 which actually corrects some of the speedo over read, the AD08R's are 225/45r17 which correct it a bit more and it actually still over reads by about 1~2mph even at 30mph I think. Rub starts to become an issue in some scenarios which are set up and spec related. Recently I've seen a couple of cars with the same size AD08R fitted on both stock or aftermarket rims in this size, both used as track cars with one also used on the road and feedback suggested they are an 'ok' tyre, one with a pulley over stock power, one circa 240hp, so with similar experiences from these owners and others plus my own with a 270+hp car I think I can say they are just that, a reasonable tyre for road or occasional track or wet track. The AD08R at ~circa 100-110 a corner are a decent tyre you know you can attend a track with in any conditions.

for the price the RSR595's out of these three tyre types just work for me on the road, yes standing water can make things interesting but the right pedal stops that, where the road isn't dirty, greasy, or has standing water the feel and feedback from the 595 always felt reasonable when driving sensibly even if a bit quick, and on the track they're a hoot. I've run these in cold, damp, warm and find at 28-30 hot pressures with my spec they are seriously impressive. Even with my crap driving and them on a heavier road car in trim bar seats I can get round Oulton Park I think in 2:04? I think that's respectable really and at ~75 a corner. A significant plus for the road is that they are quiet, something I immediately noticed in comparison to the new AD08R's which sound like rear wheel bearings are gone, and quite disappointing. Unless someone buys them off me I'll live with it I guess. The AD08R is a 200 compound which is no doubt why they squirm in the dry, Federal RSR595 is a 140 compound and planted.

the AR1's I have probably won't last long at all in an 80 compound as a road tyre so I never bothered but have been tempted for a laugh, it is a good tyre on track for it and appearing to be more of a slick semi slick which on the road could potentially catch the attention of inquisitive Police which most of us can do without, but also at twice the price so the RSR has it 'overall' for me still. The slightly bigger AD08R is some way off the Federal even in average daily dry road conditions so far as my limited time with them indicates, the 595 is fun. I can get a serious amount of grip out of them warm even close to the wear bars, which is a real blast on occasion if not ridiculous. This is where spec, driver/style, setup etc make all the difference for opinion, better brakes highlight tyre inadequacies and sticky tyres are quick to highlight set up or component inadequacies. Ryan is right, the 595 can crack, it's harmless though, it's more of a 'peel' at a moulding line.

The AD08R and the 595 are directional and can be flipped to get the most out of them, just not usually at the track. You'd perhaps think the AR1 could be flipped also but no, they're asymmetric, so for those whose wear isn't quite so optimal due to said spec/setup or driving style maybe, at the track if moved, the outside will always be outside wherever fitted, but at least you can do that, potentially swapping to the lighter side of the car, the others can only be F-R swapped on the day which prevents taking advantage of unused inner shoulder wear at that time.

The NS2R I've read about several times and I can't find enough about them to say they'd work for me at all. I like to test things for myself and have driven with them but other feedback that suggests they wear so well over a prolonged period, makes me suspect they're possibly too hard for me despite being a 180 rather than the AD08R's 200, maybe giving the same looser feel the AD08R has for me I don't know, so I'd want them to try perhaps in a 120 only, rather than 180 but those are harder to find now in the size I want. There is a fair amount of negative feedback compared to the slightly harder AD08R so feel that is one test better left to others for now.

R888R's I've only ever been a passenger with and would like to try them myself but the price is too high for the small gain I'd get over AR1's or 595's maybe? Possibly after my AR1's. I understand they're a lighter carcass as are the AD08R's also I think I read somewhere. I think many people are happy to compromise over tyres being happier to have less grip in exchange for all weather 'perceived' safety or just daily road use which I'm happy to admit I'm less inclined to do, my decision was based on wet track more than anything. Again the car spec is important, as is what I want it for. I did consider this time looking at PS4's on the back of many positive reviews but just as my wet/daily tyre, maybe next time, because there are also many positive AD08R reviews for dry or wet that were more track related overall. I've been really happy with 595's as I said for the price, if I go to a road tyre it might as well be a runflat for the hassle it causes off them (been there) actually, but a road tyre for me is very unlikely. My car spec I can't imagine on any less than AD08R, the PS4 was considered but iirc is more money. I don't know what treadwear number they are but if 200 or more I'm most likely going to pass on them, they would never be my dry track option, nor the AD08R I feel currently.

I'm aware there is a newer Federal 595RSR'R' which looks like a mix of pattern from the 595 and AD08R, plus there is a newer AD08RS I think it's called, if the price is ok I might try those new Federals before an R888/R. 595's I've got used to on the road especially in the dry, I've been so used to attributes for acceleration, braking, sometimes very late or into a turn, or very hard to scrub speed rapidly without drama, and so far the car feels looser in comparison, the only significant benefits of having pushed my luck with the AD08R's a bit intentionally, is aquaplaning. They will but later than the 595's. We all have different expectations don't we. I'm hoping these AD08S will grow on me and will try them on a dry TD, with my AR1's in the garage waiting!
    Exclusive Workshops'Driving The Experience' Official supplier of M Factory Competition Products, YCW Suspension, YCW Engineering, Swift Performance Springs. Infinitude Autosports, Synchrotech Transmissions Inc. Official Installer and Service Centre for Swift, YCW, M Factory, Exclusive Workshops Performance Final Drives, Gear Sets and Race Transmissions.

MiniTorqueGoesFinland
    Post Thanks / Like
    DoubleP went very well on the 595s this weekend (just 205/50-16s) but I think he found the limit on a couple of corners. I'd be interested in seeing what he runs next.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MiniTorque.com
    Advertisements

MT Virgin
    Post Thanks / Like
    my 05 cooper still has the budget tyres from when i bought it. i've always liked fitting new tyres and also feeling the difference in the car with a different tyre.
    my mechanic, who is quite experienced in sports cars and Minis said that the Mini doesn't benefit so much from better tyres as the chassis does most of the work.
    pls don't jump on this comment too sharply. he didn't say tyres don't change anything, just that not as much as with say a Lotus or MX5. Any thoughts from those with wide experience of tyres on both Minis and other cars?

i'm still toying on whether to ditch the ditchfinders early. Thinking of Rainsports for all year drivability and good comfort. i know they have soft sidewalls, but i have other cars for 10/10 driving. the cooper is best when being smoothly hustled at 9/10 imo, and so a less sporty tyre is fine by me. i still like some feel and good turn-in tho. it's on 15" btw.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had RS3 on mine, they lasted about 4k summer miles before swapping them round front to back, lasted a bit longer through the winter, but not much.

Put re002 on afterwards, much stiffer sidewall and boy you can tell.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by minirob View Post
    my 05 cooper still has the budget tyres from when i bought it. i've always liked fitting new tyres and also feeling the difference in the car with a different tyre.
    my mechanic, who is quite experienced in sports cars and Minis said that the Mini doesn't benefit so much from better tyres as the chassis does most of the work.
    pls don't jump on this comment too sharply. he didn't say tyres don't change anything, just that not as much as with say a Lotus or MX5. Any thoughts from those with wide experience of tyres on both Minis and other cars?

i'm still toying on whether to ditch the ditchfinders early. Thinking of Rainsports for all year drivability and good comfort. i know they have soft sidewalls, but i have other cars for 10/10 driving. the cooper is best when being smoothly hustled at 9/10 imo, and so a less sporty tyre is fine by me. i still like some feel and good turn-in tho. it's on 15" btw.
    tyres make a huge difference to these cars
    Exclusive Workshops'Driving The Experience' Official supplier of M Factory Competition Products, YCW Suspension, YCW Engineering, Swift Performance Springs. Infinitude Autosports, Synchrotech Transmissions Inc. Official Installer and Service Centre for Swift, YCW, M Factory, Exclusive Workshops Performance Final Drives, Gear Sets and Race Transmissions.

MT Regular
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tyres make a huge difference on any car.

Basically get the best you can RS3 are only an average mid-range tyre in real terms.

What size are your wheels as that significantly affects what is available to you?

MT Virgin
    Post Thanks / Like
    im on 175 65 15.
    Turanza T005 are getting good reports (#1 ADAC 2019 summer test), anyone tried them on Minis? quite new so nothing showed up on search here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Jesus!

Can you do a tl:dr for us at work?

Your preference then is (for the road anyway)

1. 595
    2. AD08R
    3. AR1

Even though the Yoko is better in the wet?

Post Thanks / Like
    tl:dr?

LinkBacks (?)

Thread Information