High oil pressure after rebuild!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: High oil pressure after rebuild!

MT Virgin
    Post Thanks / Like

High oil pressure after rebuild!

Hi Guys,

I could do with some advice on how to proceed.

I've just completed an engine rebuild on a 2004 R52. Reason for the rebuild was failed CHG and melted piston crown in bore 1 plus a burnt hole in the bore. Anyhow, liner installed, all bores honed and head skimmed.

I filled it with 10w-40 running in oil and tried to run it yesterday. It fires up OK and runs smoothly which is glorious.... but after 10 seconds oil pisses out around the oil filter housing (between the threads of the screw top). I'm 99% sure that the head gasket is correctly fitted - I think it's impossible to fit it incorrectly due to the dowel locations on the top of the block and the oversize holes cut in the gasket to fit them and there's a bulge around the head oil feed that is all correctly in place.

I've tried refitting the oil filter cover a couple of times but still get the same issue - the in car pressure gauge (chrono pack) reads 4 bar. I've had the rocker cover off and there does appear to be oil reaching the head.

Any ideas on how to proceed? Is it the heavier weight oil causing the problem or am I looking at stripping the engine again?

Cheers TIA

2. # ADS
    MiniTorque Ads

MT Regular
    Post Thanks / Like
    Have you fitted a new o-ring on the oil filter cap/checked it is seated correctly?

MT Regular
    Post Thanks / Like
    BTW 4-bar at start up isn't high.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MiniTorque.com
    Advertisements

MT Virgin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by E-R53 View Post
    Have you fitted a new o-ring on the oil filter cap/checked it is seated correctly?
    Hi, yes, fitted a new o-ring, liberally lubed with oil and I'm as sure as I can be that it didn't catch. I've redone it a couple of times to check but still the same issue.

MT Virgin
    Post Thanks / Like
    BTW 4-bar at start up isn't high.
    Oh, OK, I presumed that the high pressure was causing the leak but maybe not?

MT Regular
    Post Thanks / Like
    OK, well perhaps you should look again because 4-bar isn't high for start up, so something is wrong with your oil filter housing/thread/o-ring/cap.

MT Virgin
    Post Thanks / Like
    In desperation yesterday I ran it briefly without a filter, same problem so it could be the pressure relief in the oil filter housing, the guys at Opie didn't think that the difference in oil (10/40 vs 5/30) would make any difference, it just seemed much thicker than the 5/30 I stuck in my wife's car last week... maybe I fitted the filter housing incorrectly... thanks, I'll look again...

MT Virgin
    Post Thanks / Like
    OK, well perhaps you should look again because 4-bar isn't high for start up, so something is wrong with your oil filter housing/thread/o-ring/cap.
    FFS, just lowered the car down to normal level off the axle stands, tried it again and.... no leaking..... Iw as really perplexed but seemly it's all sorted and I'm none the wiser? Guessing it was the angle the car was at??? Or the pressure regulator in the oil filter housing freed up overnight in the oil bath... thanks for your help anyway!

Post Thanks / Like
    I had this last weekend when I changed the oil, turned out I'd nipped the oring somehow.

Couldn't see anything wrong til I removed the filter again. Took a while to start leaking with the engine running, so make sure its not leaking before going far in it.

Post Thanks / Like
    The O rings on the oil filter housing can be right barstewerds its very easy to damage them when screwing the cover back on, I buggered one at the last service and had to buy another filter as I wasnt going to use the old o ring, despite putting plenty of oil on it I could still feel the o ring catching on the housing.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information