R53 3 button key fob batteries

Thread: R53 3 button key fob batteries

MT Virgin
    Post Thanks / Like

R53 3 button key fob batteries

Hey,

I know these batteries are meant to be long-life, I have a keyfob that has been giving me intermittent issues recently. I.e. It'll be fine sometimes, but sometimes it just won't work and I'll need to open the car manually, triggering the alarm which turns off as soon as I turn the key in the ignition.

I tried the programming technique documented online, which didn't work the first time I tried, but did work another time (i.e. the doors locked and unlocked to indicate success). But didn't resolve the issue, it still seems to be intermittent.

Almost seems like it's fine after a long drive, the Mini will be sat stationary for weeks at a time sometimes so I was wondering, this car is nearly 14 years old- could the battery in the key fob be the issue and it's just not holding much charge anymore? Has anyone heard of this happening?

I'm struggling to see what else could cause the temperamental nature of this issue - if it was a hardware fault I'd expect the problem to be consistent. Car has had a new battery in the last 2 years.

I've ordered a replacement battery and will have a go and report back. If it makes it worse I can always put the old battery back on.

2. # ADS
    MiniTorque Ads

MT Plus Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Can’t answer your question, however I did discover that if you open the door and put the key in/turn ignition quickly the alarm doesn’t go off!

MT Virgin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm4n View Post
    Can’t answer your question, however I did discover that if you open the door and put the key in/turn ignition quickly the alarm doesn’t go off!
    My alarm goes off the moment the door has been opened, unless you're that superhero that moves really quick?

5. Remove Advertisements
    MiniTorque.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / Like
    Iíve had exactly the same problem, the three button key charges the battery when in the ignition but a knackered battery wonít hold the charge, you can pick up a battery off eBay but it needs soldering in the key fob (look on YouTube for instructions) , I only had one key when I purchased my car and the battery went flat so bought a new key £133.00 ! Yes my alarm sounds as soon as the door opens but turns off when ignition is turned on.

MT Virgin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cheers Emin, so did the new key fix your issue or did you do a battery replacement?

For the cost of £4 for a battery and a bit of time practicing my soldering I figured I'd have a go. Will post back if it fixes/doesn't fix the issue.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffsimply View Post
    Cheers Emin, so did the new key fix your issue or did you do a battery replacement?

For the cost of £4 for a battery and a bit of time practicing my soldering I figured I'd have a go. Will post back if it fixes/doesn't fix the issue.
    Yes, I needed a second key anyway so bit the bullet and bought one I just had to code the new key in which is simple (YouTube again ) I have bought a battery for my original key but not got around to soldering it in yet.

MT Virgin
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    If you've got an electric toothbrush, you could try putting your key on the charger for that and see if it brings it back to life.

Post Thanks / Like
    If not, buy one

They're a great addition to any dental hygiene routine

Post Thanks / Like
    if there's only one key anyway I'd buy a second, that'll confirm if the issue is the key or not. Always good to know where a spare key is imo.

Thread Information