R53 New-to-me Mini Cooper S
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: R53 New-to-me Mini Cooper S

MT Virgin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Items for Sale

R53 New-to-me Mini Cooper S

OK OK, I'm bracing myself for the "THAT"S SITTING WAAAAY TOO HIGH!!!" comments, but I've only had it a week. I'm going to drive it for a while first to figure what needs doing to get it Stage 0. I think wheel bearings sound like they may be on their way out, brakes really scrape for the first few miles if I don't drive it for a day or so.

I'm thinking in the next few months (I'm skint at the mo) I'll be:
    upgrading the brakes (any recommendations?)
    getting bigger rear ARB (any favourites in diameter and brand?)
    either getting lowering springs or coilovers. I don't want to go super low tbh, but yes, a little wheel gap closure may well be in order
    fitting bigger intercooler (any recommendations?)
    fitting 17% pulley and colder plugs (any recommendations?)
    fitting better downpipes and maybe Miltek catback

any other upgrades you'd suggest? I don't want to go crazy tbh, and Ideally I'll source all the stuff above second hand. If I get on with the MINI in the long run, I may just upgrade to a JCW in a year or two and go big on that.

...and if anyone's interested, the car I'm selling:

Used 2007 BMW E90 3 Series [05-12] 335I M SPORT TOURING for sale in Oxon | Pistonheads

Last edited by Theador; 09/01/17 at 20:51.

2. # ADS
    MiniTorque Ads

Post Thanks / Like
    Items for Sale
    Coilovers.

If you want springs, sign up to here totalMINI - MINI Forum

Potential Post Whore
    Post Thanks / Like
    Items for Sale
    Wheel bearing noise might actually be tyre noise, not uncommon, swap the wheels around and see if it changes

Brake scrape may be either normal overnight rust, or edges of rear discs significantly corroded too, sometimes a manual clean up helps it.

Everyone here will probably tell you to fit coilovers, (not me, although I do now have them they're not low like all the others) wheel gap gets a little better if using 215/45 tyres too, which also helps speedo correction a little.

15% pulley will give fewer intake air temp issues that a bigger intercooler likely won't solve, a different header will help more than a catback imo, although I like the JCW system now I have it, (others are available)

Roll bar? there are several, for me I went with Hotchkis as in the lowest setting it was 200% or so stiffer than the MCS facelift OE bar iirc.

Car looks nice. If you want to be conservative initially, maybe adjustable top mounts on the standard struts for some neg camber, tyre size, rear arb, 15% pulley, GP intercooler, header, and a tailored map. If it hasn't an LSD, maybe fit one. R56S front brakes, Done.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MiniTroque.com
    Advertisements

MT Virgin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Items for Sale
    Quote Originally Posted by CarsOrBikes View Post
    Wheel bearing noise might actually be tyre noise, not uncommon, swap the wheels around and see if it changes

Brake scrape may be either normal overnight rust, or edges of rear discs significantly corroded too, sometimes a manual clean up helps it.

Everyone here will probably tell you to fit coilovers, (not me, although I do now have them they're not low like all the others) wheel gap gets a little better if using 215/45 tyres too, which also helps speedo correction a little.

15% pulley will give fewer intake air temp issues that a bigger intercooler likely won't solve, a different header will help more than a catback imo, although I like the JCW system now I have it, (others are available)

Roll bar? there are several, for me I went with Hotchkis as in the lowest setting it was 200% or so stiffer than the MCS facelift OE bar iirc.

Car looks nice. If you want to be conservative initially, maybe adjustable top mounts on the standard struts for some neg camber, tyre size, rear arb, 15% pulley, GP intercooler, header, and a tailored map. If it hasn't an LSD, maybe fit one. R56S front brakes, Done.
    Cheers; yeah it's got the LSD, made sure of that.
    And header definitely.
    R56S brakes, do they bolt straight on?
    Last edited by Theador; 10/01/17 at 08:16.

MT Virgin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Items for Sale
    Quote Originally Posted by Weltz View Post
    Coilovers.

If you want springs, sign up to here totalMINI - MINI Forum
    Hahah, Ok Ok, I get it!!

MT Virgin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Items for Sale
    Quote Originally Posted by Theador View Post
    Cheers; yeah it's got the LSD, made sure of that.
    And header definitely.
    R56S brakes, do they bolt straight on?
    Hi there, is the jcw lsd noticeable ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Potential Post Whore
    Post Thanks / Like
    Items for Sale
    There's no difference in Cooper S LSD to JCW or GP but yes, definitely noticeable, although other options are available as aftermarket solutions, the OE is still a good thing to have.

MT Virgin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Items for Sale
    Quote Originally Posted by CarsOrBikes View Post
    There's no difference in Cooper S LSD to JCW or GP but yes, definitely noticeable, although other options are available as aftermarket solutions, the OE is still a good thing to have.
    Ok thanks , good to know !

MT Virgin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Items for Sale
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazio_troy View Post
    Hi there, is the jcw lsd noticeable ?

Hi it's a Cooper S LSD.

I'd say it's better than the one I had in my Volvo 850R, which was essentially a viscous coupling, but not as good as the QUAIFFE in my BMW e91 335i, which was smooth as silk in putting the power down.

You definitely feel it keeping power on both wheels and still get that steer and drive feel you get from a FWD with an LSD just it maybe has a bit of lag before it kicks in, like a fraction of a second. This may be something else though as the car's feeling a little vague in the front and haven't had a chance to check it out yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Items for Sale
    Quote Originally Posted by Theador View Post
    Hi it's a Cooper S LSD.

I'd say it's better than the one I had in my Volvo 850R, which was essentially a viscous coupling, but not as good as the QUAIFFE in my BMW e91 335i, which was smooth as silk in putting the power down.

You definitely feel it keeping power on both wheels and still get that steer and drive feel you get from a FWD with an LSD just it maybe has a bit of lag before it kicks in, like a fraction of a second. This may be something else though as the car's feeling a little vague in the front and haven't had a chance to check it out yet.
    All the first gen LSDs are the same.

As for feeling vague, maybe the front wishbone bushes are shot. Common problem, and can make the car feel vague and unstable.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information